Thursday, July 31, 2014

Denmon named second-team All-American

Missouri senior guard Marcus Denmon was named to the Associated Press' All-America Second Team on Monday.

The announcement marks the latest honor for Denmon, who finished his final campaign in Columbia by playing in more career games than anyone in school history and also becoming the program’s fifth top scorer.

"Receiving All-American awards are great and I appreciate them, but they just make me more hungry," Denmon tweeted Monday morning.

Denmon led the Big 12 Conference’s highest-scoring offense, averaging 17.7 points over the season. He connected on 99 total three-pointers, lifting his team with a .419 shooting percentage from far.

Denmon’s offensive proficiency hit a notable halt midway through the season, when he played five games over a span of making just 5 of 31 attempts from the perimeter. That drought came to an electrifying end in perhaps the most memorable win of the season against Kansas at Mizzou Arena, where Denmon put on a 29-point onslaught on the visiting rivals.

“We all felt that Marcus was going to come out of it,” said coach Frank Haith, who referred to Denmon as “a warrior” multiple times during the season. “He puts in that work, it’s going to happen.”

Haith also credited Denmon for his contributions beyond his scoring abilities. Standing just 6 feet 3 inches, he was a willing rebounder as well, averaging 5.1 boards a game, second on the team.

After jotting his name in school history books, Denmon will now eye a career in the NBA.

“I sure hope some NBA team will give him a chance,” Haith said earlier in the season. “It’s the same with with this team. They always talk about what we don’t have. Marcus, I think unfortunately, will be talked about what he can’t do. But man, he sure does something to help you win. I hope someone will recognize that and give him a chance.“