Thursday, November 27, 2014

No. 7 Missouri notches record 27th win in 81-59 blowout at Texas Tech

No. 7 Missouri defeated Texas Tech in Lubbock, Texas, 81-59 to conclude its regular season with its 27th win, the most in program history.

The Tigers (27-4, 14-4 Big 12 Conference) had five players finishing in double digits, four of them making at least three 3-pointers to total the season-high 16 treys that buried the Red Raiders (8-22, 1-17 Big 12) on their senior day.

Through the game’s first 10 minutes, senior guards Kim English (team-high 20 points) and Matt Pressey (14 points) handled all 17 of the Tigers' points. Pressey contributed eight points in that span, more than he had combined in his previous six outings.

Missouri went nearly six minutes without a field goal midway through the first, a period in which Texas Tech was able to chop its deficit to two. But a three-pointer from junior guard Michael Dixon (13 points) and a dunk by senior forward Ricardo Ratliffe (13 points, season-high 15 rebounds) were able to quench their team’s drought. The Tigers led 32-28 going into the locker room.

Senior guard and leading scorer Marcus Denmon was held scoreless in the first frame for the first time all season, being guarded much of the time by Luke Adams, a 5-foot-9-inch, 150-pound freshman.

But Denmon caught fire behind the arc out of the half.

Pressey poured in two more 3-pointers to bring his total to a career-high four on the game. He looked to shoot another before opting to Denmon on his left, who drilled his first of five in the second half alone to become sixth on the program’s all-time scoring list.

The Red Raiders finished with nine total field goals in the half, three less than the number of 3-pointers their opponent poured in, and were unable to calm the Tigers’ offensive storm.

Missouri will be a No. 2 seed in next weekend’s Big 12 Tournament in Kansas City, where the Tigers will first meet the winner of the game between Oklahoma State and Texas Tech.