Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Haith receives AP Coach of the Year in New Orleans

Missouri men's basketball coach Frank Haith's Coach of the Year trophy from the United States Basketball Writer’s Association now has some company.

Haith received the Associated Press' College Basketball Coach of the Year award Friday morning in New Orleans.

Haith guided a team with just seven scholarship players to a 30-5 record, marking the second time in program history the Tigers reached 30 wins in a season.

Missouri, picked fourth in the Big 12 Conference pre-season coaches' poll, won a school-record 14 Big 12 games and won the school's second Big 12 Tournament title.

"It's hard to express how honored I am by this recognition," Haith said. "If you had told me a year ago that I would be in this position, I wouldn't have believed it, but I think this is a great testament to how much a group of people can achieve when they come together and believe in each other and pull in the same direction.”

Haith is the second Missouri coach to win the AP award, as MU Athletics Hall of Fame member Norm Stewart received the honor in 1994.

“Our staff and our kids did just an unbelievable job this season, and as I said before, it might be my name on the award, but it truly belongs to everyone at Mizzou," Haith said.