Saturday, July 26, 2014

Haith, five players receive AP Big 12 honors

After a program record of 27 regular season wins, the accolades poured in Monday morning for Missouri basketball, which was recognized along with the other Big 12 Conference teams by the AP's end-of-year awards.

First-year coach Frank Haith was named Big 12 Coach of the Year, one day after Iowa State’s Fred Hoiberg and Kansas’ Bill Self shared the honors awarded by the conference.

Five of the seven regulars in the rotation also received honors for their performances this season.

Senior guard Marcus Denmon was named first team All-Big 12 by the AP. Denmon currently sits sixth on Missouri’s all-time scoring list. The Kansas City native leads the team with 18 points and 5.1 rebounds per game this season.

Sophomore guard Phil Pressey and senior forward Ricardo Ratliffe each earned spots on the second team. Ratliffe shot 70.8 percent from the field en route to averaging 13.8 points and 7.5 rebounds, while Pressey lead the conference in both assists per game (6.2) and steals per game (2.1).

Senior guard Kim English and junior guard Mike Dixon were also recognized Monday by the AP, as both received honorable mention. English, playing out of position due to Laurence Bowers’ injury, averaged 14.1 points per game and Dixon, arguably the nation’s top sixth-man, averaged 13.3 points per game.