Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Demon named to Wooden Award top 15 finalists, Sporting News All-American Team

Missouri senior guard Marcus Denmon was named one of 15 finalists for the John R. Wooden Award on Tuesday. The prestigious honor, named after the legendary Hall of Fame coach, recognizes the nation’s top player as chosen by a panel of voters.

Denmon was also named a second-team All-American by The Sporting News on Tuesday.

Denmon has led the No. 5 Tigers and the Big 12 Conference’s top scoring offense with an average of 18 points per game, the second highest among league players. At 6 feet 3 inches, Denmon has been a willing rebounder as well, averaging 5.1 on the season.

In his final year in Columbia, Denmon became the 106-year-old program’s sixth all-time scorer. En route to that mark, Denmon compiled some of his career’s most memorable performances, perhaps best of all his heroics, by scoring nine of his team’s unanswered 11 points with two minutes remaining to rally and overcome visiting Kansas 74-71 behind his 29 points.

The announcements are the latest in what has been an accolade-filled season for Denmon, who was also named first team All-Big 12 by both the coaches and the Associated Press and to the Naismith and Oscar Robertson watch lists by their respective committees.

The Wooden Award will be given the weekend of the NCAA Tournament’s Final Four in New Orleans.