Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Haith, Denmon, Ratliffe named all-district

One day after receiving Big 12 Conference honors from the Associated Press, Missouri coach Frank Haith along with senior guard Marcus Denmon and senior forward Ricardo Ratliffe were recognized by the U.S. Basketball Writers Association on Tuesday.

After the AP named him Big 12 Coach of the Year on Monday, Haith was named coach of the year inside District VI, a region that covers Missouri, Kansas, Iowa, Nebraska, North Dakota and South Dakota.

Denmon and Ratliffe, meanwhile, earned spots on the all-district team.

In his first year, Haith guided the No. 5 Tigers to the most regular season wins (27) in program history after a turbulent preseason that saw All-Big 12 forward Laurence Bowers go down with a season-ending ACL injury.

Denmon — a candidate for the James Naismith, Oscar Robertson and John R. Wooden Awards — is leading the league’s best-scoring attack with 18 points per game. In his final year in Columbia, Denmon etched his name in program history by becoming the sixth all-time scorer and has played in more games than any in school history.

Ratliffe has been the reliable force in the lane for the Tigers, currently shooting at 70.8 percent field goal clip while averaging 13.8 points and a team-leading 7.5 rebounds. He has notched seven double-doubles for the Tigers this season.

In what is becoming an award frenzy for him and his team, Haith spoke of the Big 12 honors Monday.

“I take the wins,” he said. “I want to win. Those honors don't mean anything. Just win basketball games. That’s what’s most important.”

Missouri will compete as a No. 2 seed in this weekend’s Big 12 Tournament at the Sprint Center in Kansas City.