Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Tim Fuller promoted to associate men's basketball coach

Tim Fuller has been promoted to Missouri’s associate head basketball coach under Frank Haith, MU announced Wednesday. In Haith’s debut season, which resulted in a program-best 30-5 record, Fuller served as lead assistant.

“Tim was such a vital part of our success this past year,” Haith said in a news release. “He absolutely impacted all facets of our program in a positive way. The work he did with our guys on the court this past season with their skill development, as well as his scouting and game prep work was top-notch. We want to be able to keep him here a long time.”

Fuller, 34, was the lead recruiter of three transfer players expected to be heavily involved in Missouri’s game plan next season. Junior guard Earnest Ross, senior guard Keion Bell and freshman guard Jabari Brown sat out this year due to NCAA rules.

Most recently, Fuller played a key role in the recruitment of junior forward Alex Oriakhi, the 6-foot-9-inch, 240-pound forward considered by many to have been the top transferring prize upon his decision to leave Connecticut.

“He's a terrific recruiter, I think that's been proven in his short time here, and he's an outstanding coach,” Haith said in the release. "More importantly, he's the kind of man you want developing and shaping young men.”

Fuller’s relationship with Haith first sprouted at Wake Forest, where Fuller played from 1996-2000 while Haith coached as an assistant. After Fuller’s graduation in 2000, he went on to coach under Rick Pitino at Louisville.

"I genuinely love the opportunity to be here at Mizzou," Fuller said in the release. "This is a special place filled with passionate basketball people. I am thankful to work with a great support staff and elite student-athletes who are outstanding citizens in the community, diligent workers in the classroom and competitive warriors on the hardwood."

Fuller is already looking to get a jump on his new position.

"I look forward to bringing in high-level talent and working hard with our great staff to compete for championships and achieve new levels of success," he said in the release.