Saturday, August 23, 2014

Miller joins Missouri as assistant with 'impressive pedigree'

Missouri men’s basketball coach Frank Haith has named Ryan Miller to his assistant staff, as announced by the university on Friday. Miller fills the position vacated by Isaac Chew, who left the program for the top assistant job at Illinois in April.

“We’re very fortunate to have someone of Ryan’s caliber join our program,” Haith said in a news release. “I think he’s the total package, he’s an outstanding, proven recruiter, and an outstanding coach who is a great teacher and skill development guy. He’s certainly got an impressive pedigree…”

Miller served as an assistant at New Mexico for the past five years, during which time the Lobos notched the most successful five-year span in school history with an overall 126-46 record. Miller worked with guards during that time, but is notably regarded for his contributions as a scout and recruiter.

Miller’s cousin, Ernie Kuyper is a co-founder and coach for the Memphis-based AAU program m33m. Miami Heat guard Mike Miller, Ryan Miller’s younger brother, sponsors the club. M33m currently features Rival.com’s No. 24 recruit in the 2013 class, Robert Hubbs III, a 6-foot-4 guard from Newborn, Tenn., who visited Columbia for a weekend recently.

Before New Mexico, Miller worked under then Memphis coach John Calipari, currently coaching national champion Kentucky. Miller worked as a basketball operations assistant under Calipari from 2004-2006.

Miller’s playing career includes two summers in Melbourne, Australia, during 2000 and 2001, where he starred as the professional league MVP, guiding his team to a league championship. He also stands as Northern State’s eighth all-time leading scorer and was a Division II All-American following the 1997-1998 season.

“He’s played professionally, so he has that experience to draw on, and he has a lot of important contacts in this part of the country from a recruiting perspective,” Haith said in the release.

Miller mentioned Haith and the appeal of working at Missouri during the school’s transitioning year to the Southeastern Conference as part of his decision to come to Columbia.

“I’m excited to have this kind of opportunity to work for a university like Missouri,” he said. “Coach Haith is obviously a great coach, and I’m grateful to him, and to Mike Alden and his administration for asking me to be a part of it. I’m looking forward to continuing to help build Mizzou’s program on and off the court, and be part of the transition into the SEC.”