Monday, September 1, 2014

Denmon, Henning named KC Sports Commission Athletes of the Year

Marcus Denmon, a graduated senior guard of the Missouri men’s basketball team, and junior outside hitter Lisa Henning were honored by their hometown on Wednesday by being named the Kansas City Sports Commission Athletes of the Year. The annual designations go to top collegiate athletes hailing from Kansas City.

Denmon, who attended Hogan Prep High School in Kansas City, finished his final season at Missouri as the program’s all-time leader for most games played in a career. He earned a spot on the Associated Press All-America second team after powering his team to a school-best 30-4 regular season record with 17.7 points per game to go along with five rebounds.

A native of Blue Springs, Henning became the first Missouri underclassmen to be named to any America Volleyball Coaches Association All-America teams with a third team honor. As a sophomore, Henning recording a school-best 523 kills.

Henning expanded her contributions to the team by also providing services in the back line as a developing defender. She led the Tigers to a 10th NCAA Tournament appearance in the past 12 seasons despite having the 64-team field’s youngest squad, made up of only two upperclassmen.

Evan Boehm, a Missouri football commit from Lee’s Summit and the No. 7 offensive guard recruit in the nation according to Rivals.com, was named the organization’s high school athlete of the year.