Monday, September 1, 2014

Missouri guards invited to top instructional camps

A trio of Missouri men’s basketball guards have been chosen to participate at some of the nation’s premier instructional skill events this summer.

"What a great complement to these young men and their work to become the best at their positions," coach Frank Haith said in a news release. "It's a great opportunity for them to get out and showcase their abilities and also communicate what they have learned with some of the game's future stars."

Junior Phil Pressey and senior Michael Dixon have been selected to the Chris Paul Elite Point Guard Camp, an invite-only event that Pressey attended in high school with other top guards in the country, from June 8-11. The two will be at the Deron Williams Skills Academy in Chicago, where they will showcase their talents with the elite collegiate and high school floor generals in the country.

Pressey and Dixon formed a potent point duo last season, as Pressey led the Big 12 Conference with a school-record 223 assists and in steals (74). Dixon came off the bench to provide 13.5 points and 3.3 assists per game and 49 percent shooting from the floor. He was named the Big 12 Conference Sixth Man of the Year.

Jordan Clarkson, a 6-foot-4-inch transfer from Tulsa, was also chosen to participate at the Kevin Durant Skills Academy in Chicago, an event that focuses on top wing players at the high school and college level.

As a sophomore, Clarkson led Tulsa in scoring, averaging 16.5 points a game. Clarkson will sit out for the Tigers next season due to NCAA transfer rules.

“He’ll benefit from being in the program for a year before he gets out there,” Haith said in a release upon Clarkson’s transfer. “I know he’ll take every advantage of the next year to be ready to go when it’s his time.”