Friday, August 29, 2014

REPORTS: Nestor to become second assistant to leave Missouri staff after one season

Missouri men’s basketball assistant coach Ernie Nestor will resign after one season on coach Frank Haith’s staff, according to a report from Jeff Goodman of CBS Sports early Thursday morning.

Nestor reportedly interviewed with Navy earlier in the week and will rejoin former confidant Ed Dechellis, whom he worked with at Penn State as director of basketball operations in the 2010-11 season.

Nestor was lauded for his individual work with frontcourt players this season and received particular praise from Ricardo Ratliffe, who led the country in field goal percentage for much of the season. Nestor could also be seen holding workouts with Missouri's batch of transfers at practices, including senior guard Keion Bell and junior guard Earnest Ross, who will eligible to play and are expected to have impact roles for the team.

According to Goodman, former DePaul and Virginia head coach Dave Leitao is the leading candidate to replace Nestor. Leitao served on the coaching staff for the Maine Red Claws of the NBA Developmental League.

Nestor’s resignation would make him the second member of Haith’s first-year coaching staff to depart this off-season following a record-setting year in the program’s history. Former assistant Isaac Chew left for Illinois, a job he has already bolted to take a similar position at Marquette.