Monday, October 20, 2014

Miller leaving Haith's staff after two months

After a two-month stint under Frank Haith’s men’s basketball staff, assistant coach Ryan Miller will leave Columbia for the associate head coaching job at Auburn.

“It was a difficult decision because I really enjoyed working at Missouri and I can't think of a better head coach to work for than Coach Haith," Miller said in a statement, reported by CBS Sports Saturday afternoon. "I appreciate how supportive he was of me during this process and the culture he has created here is among the best in college basketball.

“I do want to say how much I appreciated my short time in Columbia and I know why my friends and colleagues spoke so highly of Frank and Mizzou. This is such a special place to so many people and my experience with our student-athletes, the University and the city will stay with me forever.”

In May, Miller filled the position vacated by Isaac Chew, who originally accepted a job at Illinois before later taking an assistant job at Marquette. Miller came to MU after serving as an assistant and active recruiter during New Mexico’s most successful five-year span. In a news release upon the hiring, Haith referred to Miller, the younger brother of Miami Heat forward Mike Miller, as “the total package.”

“I know it was a difficult decision for Ryan, but when you step back and look at the opportunities it can create for him going forward it's understandable," Haith said in the CBS Sports statement. "It's a great opportunity personally, professionally and financially, and to go from our third assistant to Associate Head Coach and work for a former colleague and friend, it's a major career move."

Miller will stay within the Tigers’ new Southeastern Conference territory at Auburn under Tony Barbee. Miller, as a video coordinator, and Barbee, as an assistant, both worked under John Calipari at Memphis.

With Miller’s departure Haith, the reigning AP Coach of the Year, will search for an assistant for a third time in his first offseason in Columbia during an important recruiting period for programs across the country. Ernie Nestor left the MU staff for a similar position at Navy in early June after one year at Missouri and was replaced by former Virginia and DePaul coach Dave Leitao.