Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Notes from camp: Day 17

The Missouri football team returned to the Kadlec Athletic Fields for the 17th day of fall camp on Tuesday afternoon, 11 days before it meets Southeastern Louisiana and embarks on its inaugural Southeastern Conference campaign.

The full pads practice was the first organized team activity of the school year, as the Tigers had Monday off for the start of classes. Practice lasted roughly two hours, as coach Gary Pinkel said the team is toning down practices in preparation for the looming season-opener.

Here were the notes from the day:

Copeland earns scholarship

Offensive lineman Max Copeland, who has earned a boisterous reputation over the summer, has officially been given a scholarship, team spokesman Chad Moller said.

A rash of injuries along the line earlier in camp provided Copeland the opportunity to take first-team reps, which the junior from Montana has taken advantage of.

Copeland is currently atop the depth chart at left guard, a starting spot he is battling for with true freshman Evan Boehm.

Injury Update

The coaching staff had hoped back-to-back days off would be enough to get some of the 20 players who sat out last Thursday’s scrimmage healthy.

It was.

Senior receiver T.J. Moe shed the red penny he had been wearing since the first day of camp. He reassumed his starting spot at the H-position, relegating camp standout Gahn McGaffie to second-string.

Reciever Rolandis Woodland, injured last week, also was all systems go Tuesday.

Donning red pennies for limited practice participation were Sean Culkin, Will Ebner, Kip Edwards, Matt Hoch, Jimmie Hunt, L’Damian Washington and Evan Winston.

Nose tackle Lucas Vincent was in a red jersey and sat out once again with his foot in a boot.

Line looks to solidify

After the rash of injuries up front earlier in camp, the coaching staff had to shuffle around the able-bodies that remained.

What resulted was a starting line, from left-to-right, of Elvis Fisher, Max Copeland, Mitch Morse, Jack Meiners and Justin Britt.

Pinkel is looking for others to clinch positions, too, saying the team has yet to determine a second and third center behind Morse, as well as who the third guard and third tackles will be.

Boehm figures to be the third guard, while the third tackle spot will likely come down to Chris Freeman or Anthony Gatti.