Sunday, September 21, 2014

Haith fills staff with Carter

The Missouri men’s basketball team filled its final vacant assistant coaching seat on Tuesday with the announcement of Rick Carter’s hire.

Carter is coming off a four-year stint at Western Michigan, where he was regarded for his sideline emotions and for his recruiting abilities. He is credited for the recruitment of David Kool, who was named Michigan’s Mr. Basketball as a high school senior and went on to become WMU’s all-time scorer following his 2010 All-American senior season.

Carter got his start at Michigan State from 2003 to 2006, during which time he served as a graduate assistant handling day-to-day operations on Tom Izzo’s staff.

After working with the Spartans, Carter joined Fairfield University’s staff, first as the director of basketball operations then as an assistant coach alongside current MU assistant Tim Fuller.

"I am excited to welcome Rick Carter into our basketball family," coach Frank Haith said in a news release. "Rick is a talented coach and a relentless recruiter. He has a great basketball background working for Steve Hawkins at Western Michigan, Ed Cooley at Fairfield and of course Tom Izzo at Michigan State and he has connections to a couple members of our staff, so I really liked the instant fit."

Carter is the third hire Haith has made during the offseason, coming after his historic 30-5 first year at Missouri that ended with a surprise first-round exit from the NCAA tournament and him being named the AP Coach of the Year. In June, Haith hired Dave Leitao to replace Ernie Nestor, who took a position at Navy. Later, Haith brought in Ryan Miller to fill the seat left by Isaac Chew, now an assistant at Marquette.

Toward the end of July, two months after arriving in Columbia, Miller accepted an offer to be Auburn’s associate head coach.

"I'm so excited to join coach Haith's program here at Missouri," Carter said in the release. "The history and tradition at Mizzou makes this one of the best jobs in America and of course I know all about the great players from the state of Michigan that had standout careers as Tigers, including Doug Smith, whose number is retired here. I want to thank coach Haith and the administration for this opportunity and I want to thank everyone at Western Michigan for the four great years in Kalamazoo."