Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Offensive struggles propel Tigers to early deficit, loss in Fayetteville

For the second time this weekend, a Missouri basketball team left the Bud Walton arena with a loss to the Arkansas Razorbacks.

The women’s game wasn’t as down to the wire as the men’s though, as Missouri (15-11, 4-8 SEC) lost to Arkansas in a decisive 61-40 defeat.

Three minutes into play, the Tigers held a 4-2 lead. Missouri then hit a scoring drought, going 0-for-8 from the field in the next eight minutes of play. That gave Arkansas (17-8, 5-7 SEC) the chance to build a 13-point lead, which the Tigers would never overturn.

Arkansas led by as many as 25 in the game. Although Missouri did outscore the Razorbacks by one in the second half, the Tiger’s second-half offensive output wasn’t enough to remedy a 22-point halftime deficit.

Junior forward Bri Kulas led Missouri in scoring with 13 points and was the only Tiger to reach double figures. Sophomore Morgan Eye and seniors Liz Smith and Sydney Crafton each contributed six rebounds.

In Missouri’s loss to Mississippi State last week, coach Robin Pingeton attributed the defeat to turnovers and missed layups. In Arkansas, the storyline was similar as Tigers accumulated 20 turnover’s to the Razorbacks’ 16, and failed to convert 14 layup opportunities.

The team also struggled from the 3-point line. Shooting 12.5 percent, today’s 2-for-16 total marked Missouri’s second worst performance of the season. In its current three-game losing streak, Missouri has shot just 14 percent on a combined 9-for-63 from behind the arc.

The Tigers, who have won only one of their six road games, will look to snap their losing streak as they return to the home court on Thursday at 8 p.m. to face off against LSU.