Friday, August 22, 2014

Tigers drop second game to No. 23 Southern Mississippi 5-3

Tags: Baseball

The Missouri baseball squad (0-2) lost its second in a row to No. 23 Southern Mississippi 5-3 on Saturday

Sophomore pitcher Brett Graves went five strong innings in a no-decision, striking out five and walking one. The only run he allowed came in the sixth inning after he was lifted for surrendering a hit and a walk with no one out. Redshirt sophomore reliever Ryan Yuengel couldn’t kill the rally, as Golden Eagle designated hitter freshman Tim Lynch scarified to score a run to cut the lead to 3-2.

In the fifth, Tigers shortstop freshman Josh Lester committed an error in his first start to allow a run.

Southern Mississippi turned the gears again in the seventh when Yuengel hit senior Chase Fowler and later walked senior Travis Creel. The table was set for sophomore Mason Robbins, who clobbered a three-run homer over the right field fence. Yuengel was saddled with the loss.

Missouri failed to respond in the ensuing three frames, going nine up and nine down.

The Tigers, though, did put three tallies on the board in three separate innings. In the first, Missouri put two runners on for junior third baseman Keaton Steele. Promptly, Stelle laced a shot to the left side, scoring sophomore centerfielder Case Munson.

In the top of the fifth, the Tigers added to their 1-0 lead with a run from Munson again off a senior Dane Opel base hit. Missouri, though, failed to score two runners on the bases with one out.

Finally in the sixth, Munson came in clutch a third time with a seeing-eye ball that eluded Golden Eagles sophomore third baseman Bradley Roney, scoring Lester.

Missouri plays the final game of the series on Sunday in Hattiesburg, Miss.