Saturday, September 20, 2014

Tigers softball finishing 5-0 in UCSB’s Gaucho Classic

Tags: Softball

The No. 8/7 Mizzou softball team had 14 hits in their 12-1 win over the USCB Gauchos on Sunday to wrap up the UCSB’s Gaucho Classic at Campus Diamond. They progressed to 5-0 with the win.

The action began for the Tigers in the top third inning, when sophomore shortstop Corrin Genovese notched a single up the middle. Senior catcher Jenna Marston and senior designated hitter Nicole Hudson followed with singles of their own, with Hudson scoring Genovese. Two more singles by senior first baseman Lindsey Muller and redshirt freshman right fielder Carlie Rose and a sacrifice fly out by junior left fielder Mackenzie Skyes helped the Tigers lead the Gauchos 4-0 by the end of the third.

The Gauchos responded with two hits in the bottom fourth. Center fielder Jessica Soria singled and right fielder Arianna Palomares reached base on a fielding error. But a double play converted by Tigers’ Genovese and freshman second baseman Emily Crane kept the Gauchos’ base runners to one. The Gauchos’ only run in the game was when short shop Keilani Jennings singled to left field, scoring Soria.

Muller added to the Tiger’s lead with a two-run homerun in the top fifth. Muller finished the game 4-for-4 with three RBI.

The Tigers then exploded in the top seventh with five more runs, with a multitude of players turning hits into runs.

Redshirt senior pitcher Crystal Thomas pitched seven innings, allowing the Gauchos only three hits and one run. Thomas retired all nine players on the Gaucho’s lineup in her first time through, with seven strikeouts to help her. She had a total of 10 strikeouts in the game.

Another notable player in the game was Hudson, who tied Muller for highest team RBI. Hudson completed the five-game competition with 11 RBI with includes five home runs.

The Tigers will start the Mary Nutter Classic in Palm Springs beginning Feb. 21, which they will face the Maryland Terrapins at 3 p.m. and the San Diego State Aztecs at 7:30 p.m.