Sunday, September 24, 2017

Day two of conference championship filled with medals, disappointment

On day two of the Missouri’s first-ever Southeastern Conference Indoor Track and Field Championship, the Tigers both rose above expectations and fell short.

Freshman sprinter Markesh Woodson placed second in the preliminary round of the 60-meter dash, putting himself in a great position to possibly medal on Sunday. Senior distance runner Laura Roxberg finished fifth in the women’s mile, earning her a spot in Sunday’s final race. In the pits, senior Jacob Bullinger finished fourth and junior Brian Duncan placed eighth overall in the men’s weight throw, earning them both medals for the meet. Senior jumper Malcolm Pennix placed fifth overall in the long jump, earning him a trip to the medal podium.

Other Missouri athletes, however, had some less than stellar performances on the day. Sophomore thrower Kearsten Peoples did not record a single mark in the women’s shot put, putting her in last place on the day. After breaking the school record in the 60-meter dash last weekend, freshman Chelsie Stevens finished 24th in the preliminary round. Although she ran a good race that was close to her record-breaking time, the mark did not allow her to advance to Sunday’s final race.

The conference championship will finish on Sunday, as the best SEC athletes will be competing for the few remaining conference title spots.