Monday, March 27, 2017

Tigers compete at Indoor Championships

Four Tiger athletes qualified for this year’s NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championship this weekend in Fayetteville, Ark.

During Friday’s meet, senior Malcolm Pennix placed 14th in the men’s long jump with a mark of 24 feet 3.5 inches. Senior distance runner Laura Roxberg finished 16th in the women’s mile with a time of 4 minutes, 45.6 seconds. Freshman sprinter Markesh Woodson qualified for the men’s 60-meter dash final with a time of 6.65 seconds. Woodson finished eighth in the qualifying round, and grabbed the last available spot for the finals.

On Saturday, the final day of competition, sophomore Kearsten Peoples had a throw of 54 feet 10.25 inches, which placed her ninth in the women’s shot put, putting her just outside of medaling and scoring range. Later however, the Tigers would score their first and only points of the meet. Woodson placed fifth overall in the men’s 60-meter dash finals, recording a time of 6.66 seconds. Two Auburn runners, Marcus Rowland and Harry Adams, exacted a small dose of revenge on Woodson during this race. Woodson beat both of them in order to win the men’s 60-meter dash in the Southeastern Conference Indoor Championships. This time around, both Auburn runners got the best of Woodson, with Rowland placing second and Adams placing fourth.

The Missouri men’s team finished the championships tied for 44th place, and the women’s team was unable to place because they failed to score any points during the meet. The Arkansas Razorbacks scored 74 points to claim the men’s overall title, and the Oregon Ducks women’s team scored 56 points to win the women’s national championship.

The outdoor season will begin for the Tigers on March 22nd with the Missouri Relays, which will be held at Audrey J. Walton Stadium right here at MU.