Monday, March 27, 2017

Tigers make final preparations before Nationals

Better late than never.

A handful of Missouri athletes participated in two last-chance qualifier meets this weekend before next weekend’s NCAA Indoor Championships in Fayetteville, Ark.

A group of Missouri's best throwers traveled north to Ames, Iowa, for the Iowa State Qualifier. Senior Jacob Bullinger placed third in the men’s weight throw with a mark of 64 feet, 3 inches, while junior Brian Duncan placed sixth in the same event with a throw of 59 feet, 9.5 inches. Senior Brooks Mosier placed tenth in the shot put with a mark of 54 feet, 4 inches.

On the women’s side, sophomore Kearsten Peoples placed second in the weight throw with a distance of 63 feet, 11.5 inches. Peoples also placed fifth in the shot put with a mark of 51 feet, 8.25 inches. Sophomore Jill Rushin finished just behind Peoples in sixth place with a throw of 50 feet, 10 inches.

A single Missouri athlete traveled to the Arkansas Final Qualifier in Fayetteville. Sophomore pole vaulter Katrine Haarklau was the only Tiger to compete in the meet, finishing fourth with a height of 13 feet, 2.5 inches.

Next weekend, Missouri athletes will compete in the NCAA Indoor Championships, once again in Fayetteville. The official list of entries will be released later this week, detailing which athletes will be headed to Nationals on Friday and Saturday.