Saturday, October 21, 2017

Track in action at Arkansas and California

Missouri came up big in their first away track meets of this outdoor season.

A small group of three men’s distance runners traveled to Palo Alto, Calif. for the Stanford Invitational, while a much larger group of athletes competed in Fayetteville, Ark. for the Spring Invitational.

On Friday in Palo Alto, senior Dan Quigley narrowly beat his own school record in the men’s 5,000-meter run 13:15.44. If Quigley had run this time last week, he would have been atop the NCAA Division-I standings in the event.

In Fayetteville on Friday Missouri throwers did what they do best. Sophomore Brian Duncan finished second in the men’s hammer throw with a mark of 196 feet 11 inches and senior Jacob Bullinger placed third with a throw of 190 feet. On the women’s side, sophomore Kearsten Peoples finished second with a throw of 182 feet 2 inches and junior Bethany Pfeiffer placed fourth with a throw of 175 feet and 2 inches.

Poor weather plagued the runners in Arkansas early Saturday morning, but the rain hardly affected the meet as a whole as it quickly dispersed after a quick shower.

However, the Tigers would not let the rain ruin their day. Missouri earned a combined three overall event wins on the day.

Senior Blake Irwin ran a very impressive 1:49.12 in the men’s 800-meter run, giving him not only the fastest time at the Spring Invitational, but also one of the fastest times thus far in the Division-I outdoor season.

Another winner in Arkansas was sophomore Jill Rushin, who recorded a mark of 53 feet 1.5 inches in the women’s shot put.

The final winner during the Arkansas meet was freshman Markesh Woodson. Woodson ran a 10.30 in the men’s 100-meter dash, which is the fastest time recorded for a freshman this year. Woodson won the SEC Indoor Championship for the 60-meter dash earlier this year.

Other notable Missouri finishes include two Tigers in the men’s triple jump. Sophomore Jonathon Ilori placed second with a distance of 49 feet 2.25 inches, while freshman Tony Carodine finished right behind him in third with a mark of 48 feet 10 inches.

Next on the schedule for the Tigers is in Tuscaloosa, Ala., next Saturday for the Crimson Tide Invitational.