Sunday, April 23, 2017

Freshman qualifies for Junior Track National Championship

The personal records continue to pile up for Missouri this track and field season, as athletes achieved thirteen PRs on Saturday in Oxford, Miss.

Sophomore Jill Rushin dominated in the throwing ring. Rushin finished the day with a second place finish in the women’s shot put with a throw of 15.77 meters, and won the women’s discus with a personal best of 49.32 meters. This is the second meet this outdoor season that the sophomore has won an event.

"I am very excited about this PR. It's super close to 50m, which is a goal of mine, and I'm really excited to finally break 160 feet.," Rushin said in an interview with mutigers.com. "After today I know that I can persevere through a really long, really hot day, and that the training I put in during the fall is really paying off.”

In the pits, sophomore Jonathan Illori took home first in the men’s triple jump with a distance of 15.32 meters. Senior Malcolm Pennix placed second in the men’s long jump with his 7.33-meter mark. Junior Kyle Wessel won the men’s pole vault with a height of 5.10 meters, a new personal record.

In running events, the Tigers continued to improve. Missouri placed 5 runners in the top 10 in the women’s 5,000-meter run. Freshman Courtney Brown finished fourth in the race with a time of 17:05.21, a 26-second personal record. In fifth place was fellow freshman Maria Effenger and behind her was freshman Sam Garrett. With that time, Garrett officially qualified for the USA Junior National Championship.

Missouri’s coaches have been very pleased with not only this weekend’s performance, but the past few meets as well.

"Another terrific outing with significant improvements," coach Brett Halter said to mutigers.com. "It was just another weekend of great effort, and that effort over time is what's going to yield us the kind of results we need. There were a lot people stepping up in all the different event areas, it was exciting to watch."