Sunday, June 25, 2017

From California to Iowa, Tigers break more records

Senior distance runner Dan Quigley once again was breaking records this weekend for Missouri, as he placed 16th in the men’s Elite 5,000-meter with a time of 13:43.38. His beat his previous record by over 12 seconds. With this new time, Quigley now moves into second place in the Southeastern Conference rankings in the 5,000-meter run, and into the eighth spot in the nation.

"I wasn't thinking about the school record as much as I was just happy that the work I put in this year is starting to pay off,” Quigley said in an interview with mutigers.com. .

Quigley, along with a group of Missouri’s distance runners, traveled to the Mt. SAC Relays in Walnut, Cali, while the rest of the team attended the Iowa Musco Invitational in Iowa City, Iowa.

On the women’s distance side, senior Bailey Belvis finished her 10,000-meter run with a time of 13:10.3, beating her old personal record by seven seconds.

"My race was a nice step forward that sets me up well for the next few weeks of training as we look to the SEC Championships,” Belvis told mutigers.com.

Many field event athletes comprised the group of Tigers that traveled to Iowa last weekend.

Sophomore Katrine Haarklau placed first overall in the women’s pole vault with a height of 3.68 meters. Sophomore Kearsten Peoples had yet another impressive weekend, winning the women’s shot put and placing third in discus. Junior Bethany Pfeiffer left the Iowa meet with a new PR and a first place metal in the women’s javelin for her throw of 55.48 meters. The mark now gives her the seventh spot in the SEC rankings for the event. For the men’s hammer throw, sophomore Brian Duncan and senior Jacob Bullinger placed second and third, respectfully.

The Tigers travel to the historic Drake Relays in Des Moines, Iowa next week, to once again match up against other world-class athletes.