Saturday, October 25, 2014

Pinkel, Missouri agree to new contract

Football coach Gary Pinkel agreed to a contract that will extend through the 2020 season, Mizzou Athletics announced Thursday.

The contract, approved by the UM Board of Curators, bumps Pinkel’s guaranteed salary up to $3.1 million, at $350,000 per year. The salary pool for the assistant coaching staff also increased to $3.2 million, with raises for defensive coordinator Dave Steckel and offensive coordinator Josh Henson.

This new deal comes at the heels of Pinkel’s 13th season, in which he became the winningest coach in Missouri football after the Cotton Bowl victory in January. The team finished 12-2 and reached the Southeastern Conference Championship Game upon winning the division title.

If Pinkel wins the division again, he would receive an additional $100,000 as a part of a $1.8-million incentive package. Pinkel will be paid $625,000 with the incentives included, according to the contract.

Pinkel’s contract was set to end in 2017 before the extension. If for any reason he terminates his contract, he will owe the university $500,000. Under the previous contract, he would have had to pay $2 million if he left in the first year, $1.5 million in the second year and a lesser amount for each year after.