Sunday, September 24, 2017

Missouri basketball crushed by Kansas State, 66-42

Tags: Basketball

It was a return to their Big 12 days for the Missouri men’s basketball team Monday night.

The Tigers took on Kansas State as part of the College Basketball Experience Hall of Fame Classic. It was the 236th meeting all time between the two squads.

This time, the Wildcats came out of the Sprint Center in Kansas City with the win. Kansas State dominated Missouri, 66-42.

Missouri started off cold and stayed that way throughout the first half. The Tigers shot a dismal 19 percent from the field and were only 1-9 from beyond the three point line. Missouri went into halftime trailing 31-14.

The second half was much of the same for Missouri. The Tigers played sloppily as they tried to speed up to get back into the game, turning the ball over six times in the second half.

The main source of the turnovers was Missouri’s inability to pass effectively around Kansas State’s 2-3 zone. Freshman point guard Terrence Phillips turned the ball over five times, all of them off passes. Missouri finished the game with 13 turnovers.

The game was Missouri’s worst offensive showing of the season. The Tigers did not have a single player that scored in double digits, and freshman Kevin Puryear, their leading scorer of the season who averages 15 points per game, only scored nine points.

Kansas State also dominated the Tigers on the boards. The Wildcats finished the game with 44 rebounds to Missouri’s 31.

The loss was Missouri’s second in a row, moving the Tigers to 2-2 on the season. Kansas State moves to 4-0 in their season. Missouri’s next game at the Sprint Center on Tuesday will be against the loser of Northwestern-North Carolina.