Saturday, April 29, 2017

Missouri executes against SIUE after historic win

It was two days after their historic victory over Wake Forest and the team did not disappoint.

With freshman Sophie Cunningham coming off her record-setting 42 point performance, all eyes were on her going into the Southern Illinois-Edwardsville match.

"I think sometimes coming off a big, tough, emotional win like we did 48 hours before against Wake Forest, you worry a little bit as a coach that there might be a letdown,” Mizzou coach Robin Pingeton said in a news release. “I just thought our kids were in a great place, they were dialed in, high energy."

The whole basketball team was dialed in against SIUE as each player earned playing time. Not only did everyone see the court, all but one put up points as well.

With a full roster rotating on the floor, the players were able to wear their opponents down, leading 50-17 into halftime. Over half of those first half points came from the bench.

Although the second half wasn’t as productive on offense, scoring only 25 to SIUE’s 29 points, the defense was key, limiting the Cougars to only one out of 11 three pointers.

The team’s 75-46 victory marks their fifth double-digit victory of the season, advancing to 5-0 for the third time under Pingeton.