Thursday, June 29, 2017

Tigers drop first home match to Texas A&M

Tags: Volleyball

Up until Wednesday night, the Missouri volleyball team had a perfect home record of 10-0.

Texas A&M changed that, beating Mizzou 3-2 at the Hearnes Center for the first time this season.

The Tigers started out swinging in the first set with 15 kills on .321 hitting. Junior Julia Towler had a strong presence at the net with four kills on .600 hitting. The strong offense lead the Tigers to a 25-19 win.

Texas A&M held the lead throughout the second set, but that didn’t stop the Tigers from being strong at the net. Even with five blocks and sophomore Kira Larson tallying five kills on .625 hitting, the Aggies still came out on top, 25-20.

The third set was an example of the back and forth battle between the two teams, with the Tigers winning 27-25. The set was characterized by 12 ties and five more blocks by Mizzou.

The Aggies claimed the fourth set 25-22, tying the match 2-2. After a fifth set full of rallys the Aggies claimed the match, leaving the Tigers with their first loss on their home court.

Although the Tigers walked away with a loss, Larson ended the night with her own career-high 17 kills on .424 hitting. Freshman Alyssa Munlyn and Towler finished with twelve and ten kills, respectively.