Thursday, March 23, 2017

Freshman sets blocking record on Missouri senior night

Tags: Volleyball

And with one final win, both senior night and the regular season ended.

The volleyball team’s final game of the season served as a senior night celebration for Regan Peltier. The opponent was South Carolina, and they didn't put up much opposition. After a competitive five-game loss two days earlier, the 3-0 win was just what the Tigers needed to gain confidence for the postseason.

"I'm proud of how our team focused and bounced back nicely tonight following Wednesday night's tough match," coach Wayne Kreklow said. "The crowd was great as usual tonight and they have been a tremendous factor into our success all season long.”

The Gamecocks couldn’t stop Missouri’s dynamic offense as six different hitters posted over four kills and two blocks. Ironically, it was the Southeastern Conference freshman of the year, Alyssa Munlyn, who led the team on senior night. With nine kills and five blocks, the newcomer broke Missouri’s record for most blocks in a single season. As of Friday night, she had 142.

With an efficient offense hitting .304 overall, the Tigers had no problem finishing off the Gamecocks by 11 points in the first, five in the second and nine in in the third.

“It's always great to win on senior night, and tonight we were able to send Regan Peltier off with a win,” Kreklow said in a news release. “We're looking forward to Sunday night and seeing our destination for next weekend's NCAA Tournament opener."

After the final home win, the team end the regular season with a 26-5 record overall, losing only four games in conference play. Now, all eyes are on their NCAA tournament placement.

A watch party open to fans and media will be held for the selection show at 7:30 p.m. on Nov. 29 inside the Clinton Club at Mizzou Arena.