Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Efficient offense helps Missouri claim Thanksgiving classic title

Over the weekend, the Mizzou women’s basketball team kicked off the Hilton Concord Thanksgiving Classic in Moraga, California, by facing an opponent they’d never played before: Northeastern. But the unfamiliarity with the Huskies play did not limit the Tigers’ success.

Shooting 48 percent from the field and over 70 percent from the free throw line, the team led the Huskies from the first five minutes until the final buzzer.

The second half saw an 11-0 run by Missouri that contributed half of their points in the second half.

Junior Jordan Frericks led the team to the 69-56 victory with 18 points and three blocks. Junior guard Lindsey Cunningham and freshman forward Cierra Porter were just behind with 16 points each. For the first time, freshman Sophie Cunningham was held scoreless. She did, however, finish with a career-high seven assists.

The offensive success strengthened the next day against the host of the tournament, Saint Mary’s, as the Tigers came out with the hot hands, scoring 50 points in the first 20 minutes.

While Frericks led the team again with 18 points, five different Missouri players would tie or set new season-highs in assists. The Redshirt junior guard Laja Lianna Doty, with 336 total career assists is now one away from tying assistant coach and former standout RaeShara Brown for fourth in the program’s history.

Missouri would cruze onto a 95-78 victory with a season high 14 three-pointers. As the only squad with two victories, the team claimed the title and Frericks was awarded most valuable player, extending their undefeated start to 7-0.