Saturday, April 29, 2017

Missouri basketball loses fourth game of the season to Arizona, 88-52

To put it lightly, it was a rough weekend for the Missouri men’s basketball team.

After a plane malfunction Saturday forced the team to make a nine-hour pit stop in Lubbock, Texas, the team finally arrived in Tucson to take on the 13th-ranked Arizona Wildcats. Unfortunately for the Tigers, the ensuing game was even more painful than their wait in the airport hangar.

It was apparent within the opening five minutes that Mizzou was outmatched physically, athletically and in almost every other facet of basketball. The Tigers gave up seven unanswered points and found themselves trailing 15-6 with 15 minutes to go in the first half.

The Wildcats proceeded to put on a show of pure athleticism for the remainder of the half. By the end of the first half, Arizona led 42-23 and had tallied six dunks. Two Wildcats were in double digits in the point column. The Tigers didn’t have a player with more than seven.

Arizona picked up right where they left off once the second half started. The Wildcats dominated the glass as they outrebounded Mizzou 22-13 and outscored the Tigers 46-29. The game finished with the Wildcats celebrating a 88-52 victory.

The loss adds to Missouri’s subpar performances against schools in the Power Five conferences this season. While the team is 5-4 overall, the Tigers are 0-3 against Power Five schools while losing by an average margin of 22 points.

The Tigers’ next game is at 5 p.m. Saturday when they play North Carolina State (7-3) at Mizzou Arena. The game can be watched on the SEC Network.