Monday, April 24, 2017

Tigers win on buzzer-beater triple

The Missouri women’s basketball team (16-12, 6-9 Southeastern Conference) has always played by the motto “everything matters.”

In no game this season has that been more true than this one.

With less than one second left on the clock and the Tigers trailing No. 12 Texas A&M (22-7, 10-5 SEC) 67-69, junior guard Maddie Stock sank a 3-pointer to win the game by a single point, 70-69.

Everything mattered.

Sophomore forward Jordan Frericks scored a game-high 25 points, but if she lost the ball or missed a layup on any one of her drives to the basket, the Tigers wouldn’t have snapped the Aggies’ 17-game home win streak.

Frericks also snagged 12 rebounds, seven of which were offensive, managing to secure her 11th double-double of the season.

Junior guard Morgan Stock drained a trio of triples, one of which tied the score up in the frenetic back-and-forth second half.

Sophomore guard Sierra Michaelis, who has said in the past that she needs to work on her turnovers, pulled out a game-high seven assists in addition to her 12 points and four rebounds.

Junior forward Michelle Hudyn and sophomore guard Lindsey Cunningham both scored more in this road game than they did in most home games this season, contributing with eight and seven points, respectively.

If it wasn’t apparent, the game was incredibly close all the way to the climatic end.

The two teams had eerily similar stats in certain areas, both putting up 13 points off turnovers and 18 points scored from the bench, along with 18 total rebounds in the first half.

Mizzou scored 13 points from second chances while Texas A&M scored 15.

The score was tied 12 times and the lead changed 12 times: The definition of “back and forth.”

The Tigers went into the second half trailing one point. They left the game with a buzzer beater to win by one. Nothing more can be said except, to echo Missouri coach Robin Pingeton, “everything matters.”

The Tigers host Arkansas this Sunday to finish off the regular season.