Wednesday, October 18, 2017

Missouri women’s basketball falls in third round of WNIT

The Missouri women’s basketball team (19-14) concluded its season Thursday night in the third round of the Women’s National Invitational Tournament with a loss against Michigan (19-14) in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

While the momentum was switching constantly during the first half, the Tigers went into the second half with a 33-28 lead. However, Mizzou let Michigan get a 13-2 run to permanently take the lead late in the second half.

In the last game Missouri played last Sunday, against Kansas State, the Tigers went on a 19-0 run in the second half to take the lead and were led by a WNIT record-high nine 3-pointers by senior guard Morgan Eye.

But tonight, Eye went 2-10 from distance and the Tigers only made eight field goals in the second half.

For both teams, the three-point shooting was almost nonexistent. The Wolverines shot seven total and made just one, leading to a 14.3 percent three-point percentage.

Missouri, who usually works the line, finished the night 6-27 from distance, a 22.2 percent performance.

Half of Missouri’s triples came from junior guard Morgan Stock, who led the game going into the half with 10 points, finishing with 13 total points.

Sophomore forward Jordan Frericks had another strong game, ending with nine rebounds and 14 points. With one more board, Frericks would have gotten her 13th double-double of the season.

But while Mizzou had Stock and Frericks score in the double digits, Michigan had five players reach 10 or more points. Those five players outscored all of Missouri’s players combined.

This game marked the last game for seniors Eye and guard Bree Fowler. The duo led the Tigers to a 19-14 record, the most wins since the 2005-06 season.