Monday, November 24, 2014
Take a look behind the scenes at The Maneater.

Apology and letter of resignation

Tags: The Maneater

Effective 12 p.m. Wednesday, I'm stepping down as editor-in-chief of The Maneater.

First, I'd like to clarify something: As per tradition, I took no part in the planning of the April Fool's edition. This edition of The Maneater has historically been put together by the editorial staff, as a sort of surprise for the editor-in-chief. I decided to follow through with that tradition. Although I knew to expect the April Fool's issue, I was unaware of the content.

I am not wholly without blame, however. Early in the production of the regular Maneater issue, it was brought to my attention that we had half a page of ads that didn't fit inside the regular issue. I did suggest and authorize the placement of ads directly inside the April Fool's wraparound.

I realize I've been fairly silent in regards to our April Fool's issue. I suppose now is the time to explain why.

It's something I've been struggling with this past week. I felt Abby Spudich's letter was clear in that hers were the final eyes on the issue before it went to print. I felt that writing a statement, where I publicly distance myself from the matter, would be distasteful. Maybe it wasn't the right thing to do as editor-in-chief, but as a friend, I didn't think releasing such a statement would be appropriate. I didn't want to take part in the finger pointing toward Abby.

My approach toward this situation has been fundamentally different than what my editorial board wanted and expected of me.

Abby has handled this situation with great poise and professionalism, owning up to and taking full responsibility for her mistakes, and I admire her for that. I fully supported the steps outlined in her apology letter for working to improve relations within the community and as such decided to take a backseat in discussing the April Fool's issue with the media.

I apologize if my lack of response came across as an apathetic attitude toward the matter of our April Fool's edition and for my actions in regard to the placement of advertisements inside the issue.

I'm sad that my time at The Maneater is ending sooner than expected. I am truly grateful for the three years I've spent here, the friendships I've built and the content I've helped produce.

Thank you.

Travis Cornejo

April 11, 2012 at 11:45 a.m.

Liza: I think this whole April Fool's edition has been handled in a hardly professional manner (aside from Abby's apology, and resignation), and I'm sorry to see Travis' time as eic cut short. As the face of The Maneater, I agree that Travis deserved some sort of punishment, but the backhanded way in which this situation was handled, and his seemingly forced resignation is both unfair and unprofessional. As anyone who has ever held a leadership position knows, others always think they can do a better job than you. Working with, and managing a group of individuals with different personalities and working habits is an extremely difficult task. It's impossible to keep everyone happy, and I applaud both Travis and Abby for the hours they dedicated to the production of The Maneater, and the poise and professionalism they practiced throughout their time as eic and managing editor. I hope the future eic and managing editor are prepared for the challenges the job presents, and that the staff they have to work with has more of a team mentality, showcasing loyalty and support for their leaders.

April 11, 2012 at 12:49 p.m.

Emily W.: Have decisions regarding the production of The Maneater for the duration of the semester been made? By this, I mean: Will the training of next year's EIC and ME end prematurely? Will they take over immediately? If so, I would like to see a statement from the new EIC and ME regarding this matter. A big part of moving forward from this is not just distancing editors responsible for past mistakes, but also the new editorial board showing strength and responsibility from day 1. No one should be left wondering what this means for The Maneater's remaining issues and no one should be left wondering if the ideas to prevent incidents like this in the future suggested by Abby and concerned readers will be upheld by the new EIC and ME. I think it is regrettable that Travis feels he must step down for a mistake that was not his own, but admirable all the same. I think the campus community concerned about how The Maneater will prevent mistakes like this from happening in the future, as well as The Maneater community and readers concerned about rebuilding the reputation of The Maneater would agree: Let's hear from The Maneater's new leaders.

April 11, 2012 at 3:33 p.m.

James Matthews: Goodnight, sweet prince.

April 13, 2012 at 10 a.m.

Newsguy: To those who complained about the April Fool's edition, here is my response: It's a joke. I've been in journalism for a long time now and I remember my days at my college's newspaper. Heck, I probably spent more time in that newsroom than I did in either my class or dorm rooms. And I learned a lot too that I couldn't from a text-book journalism professor either. We've all done April Fool's editions and they've come back and bitten us in the rear. (So have the straight editions for that matter.) An apology is what was needed in this case, but I don't think anyone should have stepped down. What is to be gained from that? Do people honestly believe that the staff will be making that mistaken again? Trust me, student newspapers are needed. You learn a lot and it's the only place where you are allowed to make mistakes and push the envelope and not get fired for it like in the real work. You can learn from your mistakes. And Lord knows, I've made my share of them at a campus newspaper. So for all of those who were so offended, I say suck it up and deal with it. There is no reason why anyone should be stepping down over something like this.