Monday, September 1, 2014
Take a look behind the scenes at The Maneater.

Letter from the editors: moving forward

Dear readers,

Last week we, student organizations editor Kelly Olejnik and former sports editor Pat Iversen, were elected by The Maneater staff as editor-in-chief and managing editor for the 2012-2013 academic year. In light of the resignation of executive editors Travis Cornejo and Abby Spudich, we will be stepping up into our positions immediately.

The paper is taking responsibility for the April Fool's issue. We have been taking an active role in moving forward. We've reached out to and have been meeting with MU student leaders and MU faculty to move in a positive direction effectively and efficiently. We have submitted a request for Safe Space training for The Maneater staff on Friday, April 27 and plan on submitting a request for the staff during both fall and spring semesters of the 2012-2013 academic year. We will also be scheduling Diversity Peer Educators to train our staff next year as well. It's our intention to be very transparent with our readers about what our staff is learning from these events.

As an executive team we plan on continuing the communication between faculty, students and readers we have begun in the past week and a half.

We understand there are varying accounts about the circumstances leading up to and following the publishing of our April 3 issue. The Maneater editorial board is meeting tonight to collectively draft a statement, which will include our goals moving forward.

We only ask for patience from our readers. We understand this process has been long and not as transparent as it should have been. Our goal as executives and as a staff is to be as forthcoming as possible with the people who care about our paper, and that begins tonight.

The paper is in the hands of a very capable editorial board and will continue with its normal production dates.

Thank you and we look forward to being a part of another year of The Maneater's future,

Kelly Olejnik and Pat Iversen

Editor-in-Chief and Managing Editor

April 11, 2012 at 6:03 p.m.

Steve Oslica: Good luck with your respective terms as editor-in-chief and managing editor. As a former EIC, I can tell you that maintaining clear, consistent lines of communication with your ed board and other staff members, Becky, the business staff, and most importantly with other student leaders and with university administrators is key to having a successful term of office. If you are able to follow through with the steps you've already taken and continue them throughout the next year, you'll find it will make your jobs easier and will help the paper run better. As student leaders in your own right, you've taken on a big responsibility. But remember to have fun — despite the current circumstances, this will be one of the greatest experiences you'll ever have. Steve Oslica Editor-in-Chief, 2007-08