Wednesday, August 27, 2014
Take a look behind the scenes at The Maneater.

Maneater requests MSA budget

The Maneater has submitted a public records request to the UM System custodian of records regarding all documents relating to the Missouri Students Association’s 2014-15 budget proposal. MSA Vice President Kelsey Haberberger submitted the first draft of the budget Feb. 21. The budget has since moved into the MSA Budget Committee and is scheduled to hit the Senate floor Wednesday.

Historically, The Maneater tracks the association’s budget process in service to the more than 30,000 students whose student fees contribute to the more than $1.5 million MSA is to allocate to student services across campus. Last year, former MSA Vice President Zach Beattie shared budget documents from the get-go, this during a year that necessitated almost $100,000 in cuts.

This year, Haberberger and Budget Committee chairwoman Shelby Catalano have refused to share such information on the basis that the budget is “unfinalized.” The Maneater refutes such claims on the basis that MSA, as a public entity elected and funded by students, is obligated to share working documents under the Missouri Sunshine Law. An official records request was filed with the UM custodian following the MSA Budget Committee’s public meeting Tuesday, during which budget documents were presented and discussed.