Monday, June 26, 2017
Take a look behind the scenes at The Maneater.

The Maneater takes home 19 awards from 2017 college media conference

The Maneater won 17 individual awards and two staff-wide awards at the 2017 Missouri College Media Association conference. In addition to a first place award in sweepstakes, staffers took home top prizes in in-depth news reporting, feature writing, sports writing, information graphics and many other categories. The conference also featured several breakout sessions throughout the day and a keynote speech from Rob Curley, editor of the Spokane, Washington, Spokesman-Review.

The Maneater competes in Division 1 for student media outlets in the state of Missouri, along with Missouri State University, University of Missouri-St. Louis, University of Central Missouri, University of Missouri-Kansas City, Saint Louis University, Lindenwood University, Washington University and Southeast Missouri State University.

Overall awards:

The Maneater Staff — first place in Sweepstakes

The Maneater Staff — honorable mention in Best Overall Newspaper

Congratulations to the following winners:

Alec Lewis — first place in Sports Writing: "Terrence Phillips becomes fan favorite for the present and the future"

Eli Lederman — first place in Sports Column: "Mizzou’s offense is … confusing"

Kyle LaHucik — first place in Feature Writing: "Raising Kaine"

Peter Baugh — first place in In-Depth News Reporting: "Athletics and activism: Looking back on a historic football boycott"

Tori Aerni and Kyle LaHucik — first place in Information Graphic: "MU in 100 people"

Hope Johnson and Kyle LaHucik — second place in Feature Page: Raising Kaine spread — pages 3-6

Jordan Kodner and Christy Prust — second place in Photo Page: "2016 presidential candidates visit Missouri — page 9"

Katherine White — second place in Entertainment Review: "Listen to This: Beyoncé’s ‘Lemonade’ is a poignant musical journey"

The Maneater Staff — second place in Sports Page: "Sports Front — Issue 28, page 14"

Claire Mitzel and Lailah Tarakai — third place in News Writing: "MU Police releases report of racist incident involving LBC members"

Jordan Kodner — third place in Feature Photography: Hoodie Allen concert photo

Nate Gatter — third place in Sports Column: "Good riddance, Stan"

Emily Gallion — honorable mention in News Writing: "MSA committee seeks presidential ouster"

Griffin Schaetzle — honorable mention in Sports Column: "Athlete angle: Schaetzle reflects on Olympic Trial experience"

George Roberson — honorable mention in Page One Design: "One Year Later'

Peter Baugh — honorable mention in Sports Writing "Music, faith and family: Who is J’den Cox off the wrestling mat?"

The Maneater Staff — honorable mention in Special Section One Year Later