Monday, April 21, 2014
Posted to Tigers Tourney Tracker 2010 by Sean Leahy on March 21, 2010 at 2:33 p.m.

West Virginia takes five-point lead into halftime

The Mountaineers are getting frustrated on the offensive end, but Da'Sean Butler is still finding ways to score: his 19 points have WVU up 30-25 at halftime.

The Mountaineers shot 32.1 percent as a whole in the half, but as long as Butler hits his 3's and gets to the line as much as he did (eight times, hitting seven attempts), WVU may not need any other offense.

The Tigers weren't too hot from the floor, either. Shooting 38.5 percent, the Tigers are going to the hoop against the much bigger Mountaineers with varying success. Freshman guard Michael Dixon looked good on his way to scoring seven points. In addition to nailing a 3-pointer, Dixon had a couple nice-looking layups that seemed to give MU a burst of momentum.

With three minutes left, sophomore guard Kim English hit a 3-pointer to tie the game at 25. It was the first time the game was knotted up since tipoff. But WVY took control in the final minutes, with Butler hitting five free throws.

Perhaps the most alarming stat for MU is the three turnovers it forced WVU to make in the half. The Mountaineers are breaking Missouri's press, they're just not hitting shots. If West Virginia starts hitting shots the way there are capable of, Missouri may be in trouble.

Reader comments