Tuesday, August 22, 2017
Blog about everything and anything happening with the university.

Race relations resolution identifies “climate of exclusion and disrespect at MU”

A Faculty Council resolution on campus race relations was recently made available to The Maneater. The resolution passed unanimously during the council’s Feb. 14 meeting.

The resolution states there is a need for the committee on race relations, and alludes to a December listening session, during which “students of color aggressively voiced their displeasure with what they see as a climate of exclusion and disrespect at MU.”

Associate professor of journalism Berkley Hudson, who will lead the committee on race relations, said that he agrees with students at the listening session that a hostile climate currently exists on campus.

“We wouldn’t have said that if we didn’t believe it,” he said. “It’s been made clear by the session in December and the conversations that have happened since.”

Hudson authored the resolution with the help of Faculty Council member John Lory and journalism professor Ernest Perry, who moderated the forum in December.

Hudson is currently in the process of forming the committee. Hudson and Faculty Council Chairman Craig Roberts have been meeting with faculty members and students who have expressed interest in participating, he said.

Hudson said a lot of work remains to be done before the committee on race relations can hold its first meeting, but passing the resolution was the “first formal public step”.

The full text of the resolution can be found here.