Tuesday, January 24, 2017
Released every morning, this newsletter will help you stay up to date on campus news.

Quick Eats | February 18

Quick Eats | February 18
The Missouri men's team (second from the right) competes in the 200-yard freestyle relay Feb. 17 in the Mizzou Aquatic Center during the SEC championships. Jordan Kodner/Senior Staff Photographer

Editor’s note: This is the latest installment of Mizzou Student Media’s daily newsletter, Quick Eats. If you would like to have this sent you each morning, subscribe here.

Today's Weather

Columbia: I’m burnin’ up, burnin’ up for you baby! Today’s temperature will linger in the 60s, but unfortunately because of these high temperatures and dry weather, Boone County is in “an elevated fire danger” threat. Basically, the Boone County Fire Protection Department doesn't want you to burn crap to avoid becoming the Human Torch.

Have you heard?

STORIFY: UM System leaders and MU administrators testify at committee meeting

UM System leaders and MU administrators gathered in Jefferson City yesterday to testify during a Joint Committee on Education meeting. Assistant professor of communications Melissa Click’s role at MU was also discussed.

Video released explaining how to survive an active shooter on campus

Remember all those emails we got over break about how we shouldn’t be alarmed if we see a guy running around with a gun on campus? This video is why. MU Operations and MU Police Department released a really, really intense video about how to survive an active threat on campus. It probably costed my entire year’s worth of tuition to make, but like worth it to save lives?

Columbia Missourian: Diversity officer candidate urges communication, success models

The third and final candidate for the UM System chief diversity, inclusion and equity officer spoke at forum yesterday. She wants to see more diversity in the sciences and would work to increase cultural competency. Interim UM System President Mike Middleton will hire one of the finalists by the end of this month.

Let’s dig a little deeper

For two hours last night, interim President Mike Middleton, interim Chancellor Hank Foley and Board of Curators chairwoman Pamela Henrickson answered questions from state lawmakers. They asked about Concerned Student 1950’s demands and if students should be able to call the shots. They asked about assistant communications professor Melissa Click, who’s currently suspended for her actions Nov. 9 when she called for “some muscle” to remove a student photographer. The UM System’s relationship with the legistators has been tense for some time, but Wednesday’s hearing was another chance for Middleton and co. to rebuild bridges and say “let’s be friends again.”

Real Quick from the Sports Desk

To Keep You Cultured

Need something to do?

What’s better than getting Wheatstone Bistro for lunch? Getting free Wheatstone Bistro for lunch! They’re hosting Customer Appreciation Day tomorrow and will be giving away a bunch of free goodies! Stop in from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. to get free cookies, croissants, bagels and more. They’ll also be giving away cards for free sandwiches. Yummy!