Thursday, September 18, 2014

Tiger Spot to face new repair project

Several bricks of Tiger Spot are being replaced because they were worn down by the weather.

The Tiger Spot, an Italian-tile mosaic in front of Ellis Library on Lowry Mall, will undergo more repairs because of wear and tear.

Several sections of tile have been removed from the mosaic, the largest approximately two and a half feet wide by two and a half feet long. Most of the removed tiles were taken from the top of the painting, which is made of a high-gloss acrylic and styrene compound.

"The bricks that are missing are being repaired," said alumnus Paul Jackson, the artist who created Tiger Spot. "We didn't like them."

Tiger Spot is made of concrete and glass, materials that are prone to weather damage. The university set aside a budget for expected yearly repairs.

Tiger Spot was funded by $50,000 to $100,000 in donations from alumni, MU spokesman Christian Basi said.

"We have extra material left over," Basi said. "We knew from the beginning that there would be yearly maintenance."

The expected costs of the recent damage and the date the renovations will be completed are unknown, but they are covered in the budget savings run by the university, Basi said.

Jackson started the Tiger Spot project in 1999 and completed it in October 2001.

The work has been repaired multiple times since its opening because of vandalism and weather damage.

A new drainage system, with an $11,000 price tag, was installed in Lowry Mall to prevent further water damage.

The most recent damages are from the weather, Basi said. There is no suspicion of vandalism.

However, there have been numerous cases of vandalism over the past years. Tiger Spot was damaged with white paint early last year, and it cost $500 to restore it.

"We've had reports of vandalism in the past, but nothing recent," MU police Capt. Brian Weimer said.

Hundreds of children, students, faculty and other community members helped work on the mosaic. Each square section took about 15 hours to finish, and the piece is 30 feet in diameter.

The university is trying to repair Tiger Spot in a timely fashion, but the repairs take a long time to complete, because there are several replacements to be made.

"We were aware of the damage and we're working on a plan to get that repaired," Basi said.