Saturday, November 1, 2014

A Man-what?

The year: 1955. The place: Columbia, Mo.

It was history in the making.

Joe Gold had just become editor of the Missouri Student. His first official act changed the name of the paper to The Maneater.

"The name 'Missouri Student' reflected the editorial policy of the former paper quite well," Gold said in the first issue of The Maneater. "It signified nothing."

The Maneater's name has since signified a strong and aggressive paper that has been serving as the student voice of MU.

Since the days of Gold's leadership, the paper has been indepdendent of the university financially and editorially.

Gold's first editorial policy sums up the attitude of The Maneater:

"If you want to keep us out, better bar the door. And don't try getting rough or screaming 'libel' when a Maneater reporter crashes your meetings. When The Maneater gets mad, all hell is going to break loose. You've been warned."

More than 45 years later, The Maneater still adheres to Gold's policy.

The 'Eater Today

The Maneater is published Tuesday and Friday and distributed around the campus and the town for free.

The Maneater is non-profit and financially independent from the university. Students make all editorial, design and photography decisions with the editor and business manager.

Students serve as editors, writers, photographers, copy editors, print and online designers, and advertising managers and representatives.

Mondays and Thursdays are production days, which means one thing: anticipation.

As a staff member, you can look forward to consuming massive amounts of caffeine, joking with friends in the staff lounge and exchanging some tall tales of journalism, ("Listen — I think I'm onto the next Watergate!").

Oh yeah, and you call sources, run around campus trying to catch officials for a quote, squeeze two-hour interviews into 300 words, write as fast as you can to make deadline (or at least come up with a convincing argument for why you need an extension), shave those precious few seconds off of the developing process while you struggle with writing cutlines, and count the minues until you ask the question "Can I 'Fuji' (print) now?"

Often, all hell breaks loose around deadline — perfect practice for spending the rest of your life in a newsroom. By the end of a deadline day, most Maneater staff members have trouble even seeing straight.

Why should I become a staffeater for The Manwriter?

Three reasons: pride, profit and professional success.

The Maneater is a professional paper that prides itself on the quality and value of its reporting, photos, designs and ads.

The work you do for The Maneater will be something you can take pride in and put in your portfolio.

Yes, Virginia, you do get paid. Every position at The Maneater pays money. It's not a lot of money — but who gets into journalism for the money anyway?

When you get to our office, (convienently located on the second floor of Brady Commons), check out the pay scale posted in the newsroom. Or, go here.

So what can you do after you leave The Maneater? Well, if you're like our other alumni, you'll go on to become successful and famous. You'll be following in the footsteps of Bryan Burrough, editor at Vanity Fair; Ron Powers, a Pulitzer-prize winner; Ray Hartmann, founder of the Riverfront Times in St. Louis; Betsey Bruce, a St. Louis broadcaster; and many other successful writers, editors and business people.

I'm convinced! How do I become a Maneater?!

Don Ranly, an infamous MU journalism professor, recently told a group of Maneater staffers, "You're here because you can't not be here."

So if you'd like to be here, come on over to our news meetings at 4:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Fridays in Brady Commons. The editors will pitch stories and photos for you to take. If you're interested in designing or working on the business side of the paper, someone will be there to help get you involved.

Add your name to The Maneater's long list of successful journalists.