Sunday, September 24, 2017

SYRF celebrates Roe v. Wade

The documentary 'The Abortion Diaries' preceded a closed forum during the 33rd anniversary celebration.

Jan. 24, 2006

Notebook pages flipped across the screen. Each page contained handwritten questions: What am I doing? Why do I feel so alone? What would happen if people could read my diary? All of our diaries?

These questions served as transitions in a documentary titled "The Abortion Diaries" during the Roe v. Wade 33rd Anniversary Mid-Missouri Celebration held in Stotler Lounge Sunday afternoon.

Spiritual Youth for Reproductive Freedom, an organization that works to educate women on reproductive rights, sponsored the event.

"It's a trying time for reproductive rights," said Sarah Amos, spokeswoman for SYRF and co-organizer of the event. "This is a celebration of the rights won by Roe v. Wade."

According to the documentary, 1.3 million women get an abortion each year and, according to the Alan Guttmacher Institute, a research partner for Planned Parenthood, 10 percent of all college women become pregnant each year.

The event also featured speakers from the Missouri Coalition for Reproductive Choice and a closed discussion forum after the documentary. Amos said 60 people registered to attend the event.

"The event was really successful," said Elise Link-Taylor, the education and outreach coordinator for Planned Parenthood who spoke at the event about recent and upcoming abortion legislation. "The turnout was great."

The Rev. Rebecca Turner, executive director of the Missouri Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice, also spoke at the event about the history of abortion and the effects of Roe v. Wade.

"There have been decisions that were just as controversial as Roe v. Wade in their day, but I can't think of any controversy that has endured for this long," Turner said in the opening remarks of her speech.

Turner recounted the history of a group of clergy in New York who organized the Clergy Consultation Service on Abortion in 1967 and gave women counseling, plane tickets and money to help. It was clergy, she said, who opened the first freestanding abortion clinic in New York.

Turner said after the Supreme Court ruled in favor of Jane Roe, a fictitious name assigned to a pregnant Texas woman who sued the state about her right to procure a safe and legal abortion, more than 20 religious groups supported the liberalization of abortion rights.

The Supreme Court sided with Roe because the Constitution guarantees the right to privacy. According to the decision, an abortion is a private, medical decision protected under the right to privacy.

"Today's anti-abortion groups want the public to think that religious people all come from the same mold, that all religious people are opposed to choice," Turner said. "They would have us believe that if abortion is made illegal, then it will simply stop. Unwanted pregnancy won't end just because abortion is illegal."

Oct. 8, 2009 at 10:47 a.m.

Daughter Shower Voyeur: hh.. thank you :)