Sunday, February 19, 2017

Romance celebrates with Parade

My Chemical Romance's latest release has created a stir in the music community, and it's easy to see — or hear — why.

Many of the songs in The Black Parade echo the sounds of past masters. It is nearly impossible not to think of Electric Light Orchestra as the introductory song "The End" plays. Later in the album, "Dead" seems to be inspired by a mixture of AC/DC and Alice Cooper. Not to mention Liza Minnelli's unexpected and brief cameo on the "Bohemian Rhapsody"-esque "Mama."

Despite the definite stylistic similarities to classic and glam rock, the message behind songs on The Black Parade mark the line separating great imitation and completely original work.

Many of the songs, such as "Cancer," touch on the darker issues fans might expect from the latest MCR collaboration. For a more familiar — and amusing — message, be sure not to miss the bonus track on the end.

The best song of the bunch, however, stands out from the rest in both quality and style. "Teenagers" echo the stadium-rock style of Queen's hit "We Will Rock You" with a vocal chorus behind the refrain. The lyrics also focus on one of the pet issues from the classic rock era: the way adults view teenagers of today's world.

The Black Parade's innovative style makes 2004's Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge, which gained a strong fan following for the band, sound like an exercise in mediocrity. For fans of the band's previous albums, the band has only gotten better. But this new release has the potential to not only satisfy the diehard fans but also bring in an entirely new group of listeners.

The Black Parade could be the year's most dramatic overhaul and is an album that should not be missed by fans of either classic or alternative rock.