Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Asst. coach arrested on DWI charge

An MU men's basketball assistant coach was arrested on suspicion of driving while intoxicated. Interim coach Melvin Watkins suspended Omar Parker from the game against Kansas.

Omar S. Parker, director of player development for the MU men's basketball team, was arrested by MU police on Feb. 15 on suspicion of driving while intoxicated and failure to drive within a single lane.

Athletic department spokesman David Reiter said the matter was handled internally, and Parker was suspended.

Reiter would not specify how long Parker was suspended, but he said the administration and interim coach Melvin Watkins handled Parker's suspension.

"He was disciplined, and that included not going to Kansas this past weekend," Reiter said.

Parker could not be reached for comment.

Parker's arrest came amid controversy surrounding the resignation of former coach Quin Snyder. Snyder resigned Feb. 10. Snyder claimed he was asked to resign by an assistant to Athletic Director Mike Alden.

As director of player development, Parker oversees the academic progress of the basketball players. His duties include making sure players get to class and making sure they graduate, Reiter said.

This is Parker's third season in the position, and it is his fourth season with the athletic department.