Friday, November 28, 2014

Revelation Theory to rock out in Columbia

One could argue that Revelation Theory's success story is orthodox.

A band meets in college, moves to New York City, acquires a record deal and tours the country with a bunch of naked women. This rock 'n' roll success story sounds awfully familiar, but Revelation Theory, a band that followed this path, doesn't give a damn if it loses credibility for its stereotypical tale.

In 1997, Dave, Julien and Rich — who all refuse to give their last names to the press — enrolled at Merrimack College in North Andover, Mass. During the next four years, the three guys met and bonded over their shared love for rock music. By graduation day in May 2001, they were on their way to New York City in search of not only a record deal but also a bassist to compliment their style.

In 2002, the band found its bassist, Matty, who was, at the time, a vocal major at New York University.

"He had a much different musical background, more into ska and punk, but we jammed, and it fit," Rich said. "He brought another element and outlook. It really helped us out."

The band spent a year recording its independently released EP, but Rich thought the group could do better.

"It was just a six-song EP," he said. "It was nothing too special."

The band toured small clubs and built its fan base without any public relations assistance. Finally getting the break it needed, the band was asked to join the "Girls Gone Wild" Rocks America Tour in early 2005.

After creating a small buzz in the industry, the four members looked for a label that would let them continue to create music in the same way they originally had. Not long after, Robert Kampf, the owner of ON Entertainment and Century Media, signed Revelation Theory to his new label, Element Records.

Revelation Theory's debut, Truth is Currency, generated enough excitement for the band to be scheduled with well-known bands such as Breaking Benjamin and Fall Out Boy.

But some people at the band's concerts have said it sounds too similar to Creed.

"We're not a Creed rip-off band," Rich said. "I honestly think we have a unique sound. It's hard rock with melancholic sound."

But Rich looks at the bright side of the Creed comparison.

"They have sold 30 million albums — you cannot argue with that," Rich said. "They were doing something right."

Revelation Theory pushes the envelope on hard rock with its emotion-packed debut. The first single, "Slowburn," plays on MTV's "Headbanger's Ball," and the song is getting steady airplay on rock radio stations across the country.

"We are not mainstream radio, but we do have a commercial appeal," Rich said.

The band is excited to be back on the road again, playing on the "Girls Gone Wild" tour. As the tour travels around the country with "Girls Gone Wild" buses, the band wants to make one thing clear.

"This tour is first and foremost about the music," Rich said. "'Girls Gone Wild' is just a sponsor."

Perhaps straying from the rock 'n' roll stereotype and into a more nerdy one, the band sleeps in until late morning and spends a good portion of the day playing video games such as "Madden NFL 2006" and "Grand Theft Auto: Vice City."

"Touring with these guys is like having a really long slumber party," Rich said. "They are my best friends."

Tonight Revelation Theory will be play its first show in Missouri as the "Girls Gone Wild" Rocks America Tour hits The Blue Note, 17 N. Ninth St.

"We've never played in Missouri before," Rich said. "We had a show cancelled here, so it should be fun to play somewhere we never have before."

Faktion and Revelation Theory will be opening for Hinder. The other two bands have a similar hard rock sound as Revelation Theory. Rich said the three bands get along and spend time together while on tour.

"We're three new bands playing music and loving it," Rich said.