Thursday, March 30, 2017

Rowing Club sponsors third-annual Ergathon

The Rowing Club held its third-annual Ergathon in Brady Commons on Thursday and Friday. President Brett Matzek said though this was the third year the club held the fundraiser, it was the first time the Ergathon was held in a public area.

"We wanted to get the word out about our club," Matzek said. "It was not really about wanting to make more money than in the previous years. We were actually very surprised about the support we got from the students."

Matzek said the club had about 20 people sign up to receive more information.

Both days from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. the Rowing Club had two rowers on ergometers, also known as rowing machines. A third machine was available for students and faculty to use.

"If students or faculty wanted to, they could compete against us, and if they won, they could be entered in a random drawing," Matzek said.

Prizes for the random drawing included Chipotle gift cards and Rowing Club T-shirts.

The club, which has 20 active members, accepted personal sponsors who could donate by per meter rowed or a previously set amount.

In total, the members rowed more than 200,000 meters during the two-day fundraiser.

Matzek said the club raised $300 from donations made in Brady Commons, but he did not know the final total Monday afternoon. He said the goal was to raise $3,500. In past years, the fundraiser earned an average of $3,000 from private donors.

The Rowing Club competes against other Big 12 universities and several other colleges in regattas throughout the Midwest. The money raised during the Ergathon will go toward the team's expenses.

Students interested in joining the club should contact Matzek at bamd36@mizzou.edu.