Friday, August 29, 2014

Fergie's a little too Fergalicious

Hip-hop diva Stacy Ferguson, better known as "Fergie," has been working toward a solo career her whole life.

Fergie decided to leave the Black Eyed Peas this year and has been working on her solo album for three years off and on. The Dutchess is Fergie's first solo album, which hit record-store shelves on Sept. 19.

Fergie considers The Dutchess a chance to show people the wide range of her vocal talent. It is a combination of hip-hop, R&B, rock and reggae. Special guests such as Will.i.am, John Legend, Rita Marley and Ludacris are featured on the album.

"Fergalicious" starts this album off with a bang, featuring Will.i.am. It is a rap remix that consists of a catchy chorus and cheesy lyrics. Fergie's rapping is dismal, but this song will most likely become a radio whore, being played over and over until people are forced to admit that the beat is so-so.

The second track, "Clumsy," is an adorable pop love song that will have every girl singing along. It is a fusion of old soul and new beat much like Christina Aguilera's "Ain't No Other Man."

"London Bridge" is the first single off Dutchess. The song has a hip-hop beat mixed with Fergie's own rap flava. The lyrics she uses are humorous and fun to belt out. This song is blunt and in your face; that is what people love about it.

By the way, a "London Bridge" refers to two girls being done doggy style and making out while the two men behind them high-five. Oh, Fergie.

Next up, Fergie does a remake of a classic song by The Temptations, "Get Ready" entitled "Here I Come." Too bad the classic gets butchered in the process.

Another disappointment follows with the acoustic track "Big Girls Don't Cry." The song is about moving on after a breakup and dealing with personal issues. Some of the lyrics are shaky, such as "And I'm gonna miss you like a child misses their blanket." Ouch.

Fergie quickly bounces back with "Mary Jane Shoes." The reggae/rock style suits Fergie much better than some of the other styles she explores on this album.

Next up is "Losing My Ground," a song that reflects her former addiction to crystal meth. This song is about trying to get back on your feet. The Spanish feel of the song is a direct result of the finger picking of the guitarist. Fergie's vocal talent truly shines through in this song.

Overall, Fergie's goal was met; she shows off her wide musical range in The Dutchess, but fans might want more consistency from her in the next album. She has proven that her voice can do more than most artists', but now it is time for her to pick one style and perfect it.

Artist: Fergie
Album: The Dutchess
Genre: Hip-hop pop
Record Label: Interscope
Release Date: Sept. 19
Most Listenworthy Track: 'London Bridge'
Reviewer's Rating: 2.5 out of 5Ms