Wednesday, July 30, 2014

MU wears its art on its sleeve

Donated work and student exhibitions were on display in several campus locations.

MU showed off both the artifacts of centuries past and the work of today's up-and-coming artists for a unique evening of discovery last Tuesday.

Five galleries opened their doors for the MU Gallery and Culture Crawl. The event displayed new exhibitions and raised public awareness of the galleries on campus, Missouri History Society Curator Joan Stack said.

Students who attended the event had the opportunity to see their peers' work on display. MU graduate student Valerie Wedel had her piece, "Strata," on display at the Missouri Students Association/Graduate Professional Council Craft Studio Gallery.

"The piece consists of multiple layers," Wedel said.

Wedel used the entire gallery space to create the artwork, using projectors to display floating text and a giant cloud suspended over a pile of sunflower seeds which viewers lie on. Wedel incorporated an array of materials into her work, which she encouraged viewers to touch and manipulate.

"I want my pieces to be felt more than seen," she said.

She said it's that viewers are able to interact with her work instead of being simple passive observers, she said. "Strata" will be on display until Oct. 12.

The State Historical Society of Missouri displayed the exhibit "Picturing Native Americans in the Nineteenth Century: Lithographs from McKenney and Hall's History of the Indian Tribes of North America."

Stack said the art was replicated from a book compiled sometime between 1836 and 1844. The book is also on display in the museum. The images were created through the process of lithography, which uses stone and was individually colored by hand, she said.

The Historical Society received these lithographs in 1971 through a donation, which is how all of its pieces are acquired. This exhibition will run until March 2008.

Seniors and graduate students are able to display their artwork in the George Caleb Bingham Gallery in the Fine Arts Building. "What's the Big Idea? Art of Artist Teachers" showed off work created at MU by students pursuing art education. Senior Lisa McGill said she will eventually go to graduate school, but in the meantime would like to move to Colorado to teach crafts and outdoor-related activities. Ultimately, McGill would like to get a job in Columbia teaching students in middle school and above, she said.

The five pieces McGill chose for the exhibition varied from watercolor and oil to ceramics and fibers. MU professor Kathy Unrath said the pieces on display reflected the wide variety of mediums on display. "What's the Big Idea?" runs until Oct. 12.

The largest gallery on campus, the Museum of Art and Archaeology, displayed "Fifty Golden Years: Highlights from the Permanent Collection" as its contribution to the Gallery Crawl.

Museum Director Alex Barker said the exhibit is only a small portion of the more than 14,000 objects the museum has. The majority of these objects are received through donation, either from individuals or foundations, he said.

The Museum of Anthropology was the last gallery students and Columbia residents could tour Tuesday evening.

The present exhibition is "Folk Arts of India," but the highlight of the museum is the permanent exhibit, which focuses on the prehistory of Missouri from more than 10,000 years ago and on the various Native American cultures throughout North America, Barker said.