Monday, October 20, 2014

Tiger Notebook

Tigers No. 1 in BCS

Missouri was named the No. 1 team in the country by the Bowl Championship Series and The Associated Press. It's the first time the Tigers have earned top ranking since 1960. They also were ranked No. 1 by the Harris Interactive Poll and by the computer rankings that make up part of the BCS formula. They are No. 2 in the Coaches' Poll.

The Tigers found out they reached No. 1 on Sunday during their senior banquet.

"We were at our banquet, and someone came up and handed a card to Mike Kelly," coach Gary Pinkel said on Monday. Kelly is the MU's football play-by-play announcer on the radio. "Everyone started cheering, and it was very exciting to be able to share that moment with our boosters and other fans who were there."

Coffman listed as questionable

Coach Gary Pinkel said junior tight end Chase Coffman tweaked his ankle during a point after touchdown try in the win against Kansas last Saturday. Pinkel said Coffman will be listed as questionable for this Saturday's game against No. 9 Oklahoma in San Antonio.

"I've never heard of someone being hurt on a PAT, but that's what happened," Pinkel said. "His foot is in a cast so there's no movement. He'll practice Thursday, and hopefully he'll be ready to go on Saturday."

Coffman tried to get back in the game in the second half, but the training staff took him out for good in the third quarter.

Daniel and Wolfert win awards, Rucker a finalist

Junior quarterback Chase Daniel was named the Big 12 Offensive Player of the Week for the third time in 2007, and junior kicker Jeff Wolfert won the Big 12 Special Teams Player of the Week for his performance on Saturday.

Wolfert made all six of his kicks on Saturday. In his two years as MU's place kicker, Wolfert has never missed a place kick of any kind during Big 12 play. He is 17-of-21 on field goals this season and 62-of-62 on PATs.

Daniel was also nominated for the third time this season for the AT&T All-America Player of the Week award, the winner that is voted on by fans via text messaging. Daniel has not won either time he has been nominated.

But Daniel is winning Nissan's Heisman Trophy vote. Nissan will cast its vote for whoever wins the fans' election at theheismanvote.com. Daniel is leading with 48 percent of the vote; Florida sophomore quarterback Tim Tebow is second with 20 percent.

Senior tight end Martin Rucker was named as a finalist for the John Mackey Award, which is awarded annually by the Nassau County (N.Y.) Sports Commission to the nation's best tight end. The other two nominees are junior Travis Beckum of Wisconsin and senior Fred Davis of Southern California. The winner will be announced on ESPN's College Football Awards Show on Dec. 6.