Friday, June 23, 2017

Kelley/Johnson win

Jim Kelley and Chelsea Johnson will lead the student body as Missouri Students Association president and vice president when their term begins in January.

At 12:17 a.m. on Thursday, Board of Elections Commissioners Chairwoman Amanda Morlock announced the results. Kelley and Johnson won by 16 percentage points, with 3,950 votes cast. Morlock certified the results later that day.

The announcement was delayed by three appeal hearings on complaints filed during the presidential election.

Kelley and Johnson will immediately begin to assemble their executive cabinet, Kelley said. The cabinet includes directors of departments of student services, student communications and student activities.

A mass e-mail to the undergraduate student body will invite students to apply for the cabinet, Kelley added. Kelley and Johnson will also visit several student organizations, including minority and Greek organizations, to explain the selection process.

The pair said they will choose their cabinet through applications and interviews.

Kelley said they plan to draft MSA legislation right away.

"You want to make sure you get started on the right foot," Kelley said. "We want to start with the legislation that we promised and move forward from there."

Kelley and Johnson said they will immediately propose an amendment to the MSA bylaws that requires the MSA president to actively recruit MSA members from minority organizations. Kelley said the amendment would promote a student government that is more representative of the diverse student population at MU.

The pair will also draft legislation to add a crosswalk on Maryland Avenue.

Kelley and Johnson said they will also continue to work on the ideas they created during the election, including a student marketing forum that will work with STRIPES to recruit volunteers and a team of honors accounting students who will work alongside the MSA Budget Committee.

In addition, Johnson said plans for a Saturday school program, allowing high school students to take a class at MU, are already underway.

During the inaugural period before they take office, Kelley and Johnson will continue to meet with student organizations to address their plans.

"We are going to meet with all of the groups that are crucial to helping us move our agenda forward," Kelley said.

Kelley and Johnson said they plan to meet repeatedly with minority organizations, such as Four Front and Triangle Coalition, to tackle diversity initiatives. They will also work with Sustain Mizzou to target environmental sustainability on campus.

The pair said they will also meet with Senate Speaker Jonathan Mays to discuss current issues in the MSA Senate.

Johnson said the list of issues includes hot-button concerns such as the Hate Report, the American Sign Language program and condoms in the residence halls, as well as less familiar topics, such as offering hand sanitizer in the computer labs across campus.

"The most important thing is to sit down with Jonathan Mays and prioritize everything," Johnson said. "We want to work on the most important things and do as much as we possibly can."

Although the hearings delayed their chance to select their cabinet and meet with campus leaders, both Kelley and Johnson said they are eager to begin moving forward with their plans.

"It's unfortunate that the process had to be played out like this, but that's the way it is," Kelley said. "We're excited to be working on everything we said we were going to do."